It’s time to rally for womxn’s menstrual equity! Saturday, October 19th, 2019 is the first annual National Period Day.
We’re calling on the IGNITE community to demand real policy changes to make period products accessible for all.
Here’s why it’s time to use #PeriodPower to end the #TamponTax:
Here are three ways to rally around this important issue.
- Advocate! Contact your legislators to tell them it’s time to support menstrual equity. IGNITE’s rounded up a list of bills that YOU can support TODAY. Find your legislator's digits here.
- Attend a national rally near you.
- Support the movement on social media. Spread the word using #NationalPeriodDay and #PeriodPower.
Finally, your advocacy gets menstrual equity legislation passed!
Thanks to all the IGNITE women who wrote to their legislators, testified on behalf of bills, and met with policy makers, here’s what you’ve recently accomplished:
- In California, Governor Newsom created a budget line item to cover the cost of repealing the sales tax charged on menstrual products.
- In Washington, House Bill 1053 - popularly known as an effort to repeal the “Tampon Tax” - will move forward in the 2020 legislative cycle.
- Nationally, the House of Representatives includes menstrual equity spending packages in their budget. States now have the option to use federal grants to provide students with free menstrual products in schools.
Political power includes amplifying your voice and perspective to advocate for the issues you care most about. So, get out there on October 19th and join a rally for menstrual equity!