Below is a list of articles and research papers organized by the topics presented in the syllabus. This list is not exhaustive, but provides a sampling of alternative readings for the course.
Women voters: What do they care about, how do you reach them?
- "Candidate Gender And The Political Engagement Of Women And Men." - Jennifer Wolak
- "Gender Jeopardy: What Is The Impact Of Gender Differences In Political Knowledge On Political Participation?" - Heather Ondercin and Daniel Jones-White
- “Gender Differences in the Effects of Personality Traits on Voter Turnout.” - Ching-Hsing Wang
- “How Women Changed the Outcome of the Election.” - Margie Omero
- “The Gender Gap: Gender Differences in Vote Choice and Political Orientations." - Kelly Dittmar
- "Reassessing Descriptive Representation By Women And Men Of Color: New Evidence At The Subnational Level." - Pei-te Lien
- "CAWP Fact Sheet: Gender Differences in Voter Turnout."
- "CAWP Fact Sheet: Young Women and Politics."
- "Gender, presidential elections, and public policy: Making women’s votes matter, Journal of Women, Politics, and Policy." - Barbara Burrell
- "A woman for U.S. President Gender and leadership traits before and after 9/11, Journal of Women, Politics, and Policy." - Susan Hansen and Laura Wills Otero
- Voting Choices: The politics of the gender gap, in Gender and Elections. - Susan Carroll
- "The Importance of Women of Color Voters: Then and Now" - Emily Baxter
Women of color as candidates and elected officials
- "Latinas In Legislatures: The Conditions And Strategies Of Political Incorporation." - Jason Casellas
- "Women of Color in Elective Offices." - Center for American Women in Politics. 2013
- "The Latina Advantage: Gender, Race, and Political Success." - Christina Bejarano
- “The Candidacies of U.S. Women of Color for Statewide Executive Office.” - Kira Sanbonmatsu
- “Media Coverage of Minority Congresswomen and Voter Evaluations Evidence from an Online Experimental Study.” - Sarah Allen Gershon
- "Distinct Identities: Minority Women in U.S. Politics." - Nadia Brown and Sarah Allen Gershon
- "Women and Elective Office: Past, Present, and Future." - Sue Thomas and Clyde Wilcox
- "Predicting Presence at the Intersections Assessing The Variation in Women’s Office Holding across the States.” - Becki Scola
- “American Women of Color and Rational Non-Candidacy: When Silent Citizenship Makes Politics Look like Old White Men Shouting.” - Shauna Shames
- "Gender, Race, and Descriptive Representation in the United States: Findings from the Gender and Multi-Cultural Leadership Project." - Hardy-Fanta, Carol; Lien, Pei-te; Pinderhughes, Diane; and Christine Marie Sierra
- "A New Look at Paths to Political Office: Moving Women of Color from the Margins to the Center." - Hardy-Fanta, Carol; Lien, Pei-te; Pinderhughes, Diane; and Christine Marie Sierra
- "Latinas and Electoral Politics: Movin’ on up, in Gender and Elections." - Christine Marie Sierra
- "African American women and electoral politics: A challenge to the post-race rhetoric of the Obama moment, in Gender and Elections." - Wendy Smooth
Gender, political ambition, and perception of qualifications
- "Uncovering The Origins Of The Gender Gap In Political Ambition." - RL Fox and JL Lawless
- "Why Women Don’t Run: Experimental Evidence On Gender Differences In Political Competition Aversion." - Jessica Preece and Olga Stoddard
- "Moving On Up? The Gendered Ambitions Of State-Level Appointed Officials." - Kaitlin Sidorsky
- "Gendered Perceptions and Political Candidacies: A Central Barrier to Women's Equality in Electoral Politics." - RL Fox and JL Lawless
- “See Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Sarah Palin Run? Party, Ideology, and the Influence of Female Role Models on Young Women.” - Mack Mariani, Bryan Marshall, and A. Lanethea Mathews-Schultz
- "Girls Just Wanna Not Run" - RL Fox and JL Lawless
- "Learning to Love Criticism" - Tara Mohr
- Washington Post: "Why women’s representation may suffer when Hillary Clinton is attacked as ‘ambitious’ and ‘unqualified’"
Parenthood and running for office
- "Reconciling Family Roles With Political Ambition: The New Normal For Women In Twenty-First Century U.S. Politics." - RL Fox and JL Lawless
- "Women in the Administrative state: The impact of motherhood and family-friendly policies on women’s career paths in the federal civil service." - Marissa Martino Golden
- TED Talk: "Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders." - Sheryl Sandberg
- "Why Women Still Can’t Have it All." - Anne Marie Slaughter
- "Political Parties and Women’s Organizations: Bringing Women into the Electoral Arena." - Barbara Burrell
- Huffington Post: "Women Are Underrepresented In Politics, But It’s Not For The Reason You Think"
- Washington Post: "Everything You Think You Know About Women and Politics is Wrong"
Women and party recruitment
- "Contrasting party dynamics: A three decade analysis of the representation of Democratic versus Republican women state legislators" - Lauren Elder
- "Women and the Parties: An Analysis of Republican and Democratic Strategies for Recruiting Women Candidates." - Lauren Elder
- “Encouragement Is Not Enough: Addressing Social and Structural Barriers to Female Recruitment.” - Kelly Dittmar
Political parity and electoral systems
- “The Effects of Political Institutions on Women’s Political Representation: A Comparative Analysis of 168 Countries from 1992 to 2010.” - Jennifer Rosen
- “Beyond Quotas: Strategies to Promote Gender Equality in Elected Office.” - Mona Lena Krook, and Pippa Norris
- “The Gender Regime of Political Parties: Feedback Effects between ‘Supply’ and ‘Demand.’” - Tania Verge
- US News: Political Parties and PACs Key to Recruiting More Women for Congress
- The Nation: "Why Does the US Still Have So Few Women in Office?"
Gender and public policy
- “When Are Women More Effective Lawmakers Than Men?” - Craig Volden, Alan Wiseman, and Dana Wittmer
- "Gender And Patterns Of Roll Call Voting In The U.S. Senate." - Brian Frederick
- “Policy Effectiveness of U.S. Governors: The Role of Gender and Changing Institutional Powers.” - Lori Dickes and Elizabeth Crouch
- "Women's Issues and Their Fates in Congress" - Craig Volden, Alan Wiseman, and Dana Wittmer
- "The Democratic Sex: Gender Differences and the Exercise of Power" - Weikart, Lynne A.; Chen, Greg; Williams, Daniel W.; Hromic, Hans
- "Transforming the Political Agenda? Gender Differences in Bill Sponsorship on Women’s Issues." - Swers, Michelle & Amy Caiazza
- "Does Women's Representation in Elected Office Lead to Women-Friendly Policy?" - Amy Caiazza
- "Women and Political Leadership" - Michael Genovese
Do women approach politics and policy differently?
- “Does Gender Matter for Political Leadership? The Case of U.S. Mayors.” - Fernando Ferreira and Joseph Gyourko
- “Female Candidates and Legislators.” - JL Lawless
- “Fixing the Economy? It’s Women’s Work.” - Katty Kay and Claire Shipman
- “Cracking the Male Code of Office Behavior.” - Shaunti Feldhahn
Fundraising: Gender Issues and How To
- New York Times: "As Fund-Raisers in Congress, Women Break the Cash Ceiling."
- Washington Post: "Women are Finally Breaking Into the Top Tier of Political Donors"
What’s your message and how do you convey it?
- “A Non-Gendered Lens? Media, Voters, and Female Candidates in Contemporary Congressional Elections.” - Danny Hayes and Jennifer Lawless
Endorsements and Women's Pacs
- "Early Fundraising by Non-incumbent Female Congressional Candidates:The Importance of Women's PACs” - Peter Francia